a personal style blog by Lauren Pfieffer

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Internship!

Maroon Striped Turtleneck: Aeropostale.
Tan Pants: Zara.
Black Cardigan, Necklace: Thrifted.
Hat: c/o OASAP.
Loafers: c/o Pink and Pepper.

Hello everyone ♥

 As I alluded to last post, I have some exciting summer plans for 2015--- I got an internship! It was a very stressful and emotionally trying process that I've talked about on and off here, but most of my fears and anxieties I kept bottled up. It's a requirement to have an internship for my major before you graduate, and most students do it between their junior and senior year. I have worried about this internship since I was a freshman coming in (seriously, everyone told me how hard to was to get one), and it's been a stressful last few months as I began the application process. 

I was applying to a lot and not hearing anything back from anyone, which was discouraging. One place that was kind of an "aspirational" application told me no, they didn't even want to interview me and I was crushed; another place I was so close and then someone else snagged it right it front of me. I felt like something was wrong with me, and I just got more and more frustrated and down; even going home a few weeks back if you remember because I just wanted to break down and be with my family.

But I had to keep persisting. My dad is a salesman and he told me, "no matter how many people say no, you keep trying and you keep putting yourself out there because someone will say YES." It was such an encouragement to me to hear these words from my father-- whom I admire so much for his hard work, dedication, and success. I was reminded that at times in his life in sales, he too had failed but he always continued pushing.

Fast forward to the last two weeks and it was all kind of a blur. I was actually contacted by a company who saw my application and wanted to move me on in the process and do a video interview. I felt this weight lifted off my shoulders. Finally! If I could just get past being a piece of paper, I could show hiring recruiters how passionate, determined, and hard working I am. I was super nervous for the video interview, my stomach in knots the entire time but thankfully they liked my video interview well enough that a few days later, they asked me to do an in person interview.

The position I applied for is in Columbus, so luckily I was home for the weekend and it was an easy 1 hour drive instead of the 2.5 hour drive it would be for Kent. I remember being so nervous in the car with my mom and shaking and having a panic attack because I wanted this so bad... not because it was required, but because it was such an amazing opportunity to advance my experiences/skills. I want to make my family proud; to show them I am so grateful for all they do for me. I wanted this for my future, for my family, and for me.

I waited impatiently for a few days after my interview, the anticipation killing me. But on Wednesday during one of my classes I received a phone call and couldn't answer it. I called back immediately after my class and was told I was accepted into the position; I honestly couldn't believe it.

So, I am so proud to say I will be interning for Nordstrom this summer! It is an amazing and inspiring company I am honored to represent and learn from. My program is Retail Management, and I am eager to start this summer.

Keep persisting, keep dreaming. You can achieve what you want. x

With much love, Lauren.
SHARE:

15 comments

Sammi said...

I'm so excited for you, Lauren! Incredibly well-deserved and they are very lucky to have you. Rejection is unfortunately a huge part of most positions (especially if they contain any kind of creative elements), and though it can be really tough for sensitive people, it's a really good lesson to learn to not be discouraged by it. Sometimes it isn't even about YOU, but more about timing or politics. It's no reflection on you or your skill/talent, so the only thing you can do is push forward and know that there will be something that's a great fit out there for you!

xox Sammi

Anonymous said...

That is so fantastic! What an awesome internship! So happy for you.

SB said...

Sneaking away from essay writing to send you another huge congratulations, so well deserved!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your internship! I understand your nervousness-I'm a fashion design major,and one is required for me too. I'm not planning on doing one until the summer after my sophomore year,but for fashion design it'll be best to go to NY or LA,and that's nervous for me! We'll see,I suppose. Anyway,cute outfit!(: I love the combo of the top and those pants. And the hat's the perfect finishing touch. Perfect(:
http://www.biolifeplasma.com/blpsoffers/blpsamesoffer.html

C R said...

Congratulations! As someone above said, this is extremely well-deserved! Applying to internships is so nerve-wracking and disheartening--once I even had someone laugh at me on the phone (so actually looking back I probably dodged a bullet there)--especially for naturally introverted people where this stuff takes up a lot of emotional resources. So happy for you! Best of luck!

-Christina

Unknown said...

Getting to the interview process is a huge deal and something that's very hard to do. So many never even bring you in to interview! So you just have to keep applying. I had a required internship for my master's degree program so I understand how you felt. It was very stressful to find one! Now I'm applying to jobs like crazy and it sucks too. But that's how it is, I guess. I'm so happy you got your internship! I'm sure you'll learn a ton and get a lot of great experience.

Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

Kezzie said...

Oh I am so happy! You are fabulous to have got this- they saw the you that we all see! I remember you telling me how hard it was/is to get one and to get one for someone so well known is super!x

Ashleigh said...

That is so exciting! I know exactly what you mean about being nervous. I recently had a similar experience. I auditioned for The Voice a week ago and it was so nerve racking. I didn't think I'd be able to do it. I was a little down afterwards, for I didn't receive a call back. You words at the end of the post were really encouraging. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your internship!

Unknown said...

Oh wow! Congratulations! That's so good! :-)
I think That would be an awesome place to do an internship and you will get great experience!
Congratulations again!
xx

www.foxandmint.com

Unknown said...

I think Sammi said the best thing about the whole process (about so many processes!) - I'm just irritated that it even has to be so rude and cutthroat when so many people are running around twilling about kindness - ENOUGH! The most important thing to say is CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Unknown said...

i want to thank the great Chief Priest Amros for helping me with his love binding spell that brought my girlfriend back to my arms. with so much joy in my heart i am really amaze with the love spell he did for me ever since my girlfriend came back to me she has be the kind of girl i want her to be and now she show me so much love and respect and now she is so committed to me more before. i will also advice everyone with a broken heart to contact Chief Priest Amros via his email address holytempleofsolution@hotmail.com or call him via +2347060458342/+2347052079645 to reunite and restore your broken relationship.

Unknown said...

Congrats! Nordstroms is a great company. My parents used to work there. Met there, actually. And got married a couple years later;)
You're a perfect fit for that company. Hope you enjoy your time there!

Alex Turrell said...

Amazing, well done, I'm sure you will love it :)

www.lifestylefunxion.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Don't get wasted I am here to talk about my past experiences with spell casters..i had problems with my relationship and i did all to make sure that my woman never break up with me..all in the midst of this, i lost concentration at work and things went really bad for me as i lost my job too..the little money i saved was what i tried to get my wife back with even if i will loose all..i was too desperate and i was taken advantage of as i lost the same money on two different casters from Nigeria. of course i trusted them too much and never knew they did nothing for me so my woman went ahead with breaking up with me..i confronted them that they failed their promise and ever since then, i have never heard a world again from them..That was how fake casters ended my relationship with my woman and i planned i was going to stop everyone like them..i met with another that promised me to get her back to me and i almost laughed and said it was another lie, but he wasn't as he did cast a love spell on her and now we are talking of why we did break up and coming back together in just two days and not months like the other did made me wait..you see why you have to open you eyes and think before the liars here plays with your heart and trust like a toy.{GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM}tel.+2348057266712..he can also help you to solve any problem…Lol I am very happy now.Claudy

Anonymous said...

Welcome to ( New-World Vampire Kingdom). Do you want to be a
vampire,still in human,having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten mines time to a human again, with out delaying in a good human posture. A world of vampire where life get easier,we have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich,you will assured long life and prosperity,you shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness,stronger and also very fast,you will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, this is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture.if you are interested contact us on vampireworld777@gmail.com

Blogger Template by pipdig