a personal style blog by Lauren Pfieffer

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Seeing Double.

Polka Dot Pinafore: Forever21.
Polka Dot Blouse: c/o OASAP. 
Knee Highs: H&M.
Loafers: Thrifted.
Hat: Handmade (but not by me).
Lipstick in MAC's Russian Red.

I decided today I wanted to make all of ya'lls eyes hurt and do a little double dot action. Is it strange that I actually like this combination? Grandma and mom and cringing at home right now-- betcha ten bucks. 

I know it's a huge blogger no-no, but I do read GOMI. Even though my own thread popped up a few years ago after an immature post I wrote (well deserved I was on there), I've become less hateful towards the blogger criticism site. Not to say that I read my own thread because I don't. Like they say, if you can't handle the criticism, then don't read it, and I'm too soft hearted to read what they have to say about me. Anyways, me personally aside I think GOMI the actual site (not the threads) does an awesome, realistic job of putting bloggers in their place. Yesterday I read the latest post which was an open discussion in the comments--why do blogs go down hill? It's an interesting question, and not just as a blogger being curious but as a reader myself it makes me wonder sometimes; what has gone wrong with this blog I follow?

I know I don't follow a lot of the same blogs now that I did when I first started four years ago. It's not just a change in interest, but a lot of times something about the blog...really turned me off? How does this happen? Why does it happen? A lot of the commenters said that they get sick of blogs when they go completely sponsored and c/o, selling themselves and their readers out. Personally, I don't mind if a blogger has a lot of c/o. It makes them less relatable, yes, because they have an endless supply of new clothes which a NO normal person has, but it's not a reason for me to unfollow a blog. I think for me the reason a blog goes down hill can be when they're just blogging to blog. They've lost their inspiration, their passion. It's not so much as non-quality posting because every blogger has their own expectation of what is quality posting and what's not. But when you start to see a blogger just talk about the weather, how busy they are, the exciting things they have coming up to post...it gets kind of tedious and uninspiring. Like, I know you have more going on in your life than talking about the weather! Of course, explaining various changes of climate are essential in style blogging, but post after post after post is too much. You can tell when a blogger is blogging because they feel the need to--whether it to be they personally feel obliged or they feel the need to reach for more sponsors. I also think a big reason blogs go down hill is an attitude change. Being a blogger does not make me special. I don't care if I get invited to NYFW, get $1000's in clothing, or even get to meet a celebrity. Like, I post pictures of my daily outfits--I ain't out saving lives! It does not make me any better than anyone else and I should always remember that. As a blogger, I am not entitled to anything. I blog, it's a hobby, and that's that. When bloggers start to think they're this internet god, it's disappointing because I'll miss the humble gratitude they had before. 

I don't know. It's just an interesting topic to think about from a blogging and reading standpoint. There's no right or wrong opinion, and I think it's important to think about for our own blogs to improve them. If you all ever see me going in a direction you don't like--tell me! I tend to be very stubborn and easily hurt over criticism, but as I grow older it's getting easier to take as I realize it's only for my own benefit. So, like I said. If you all ever find something very wrong, bothersome, or off turning on my blog; email me. Leave a comment. Write a letter. I'd love to know so I can stay true to myself and on the right path!

Oh! Also. Thank you to all who gave me super helpful advice on ways to stay awake. I went and bought some apples tonight at the market and will start snacking on them like you suggested, and also plan on getting back into the pool to swim again soon. I value all of your opinions very much so thank you ♥

With much love, Lauren.
SHARE:

12 comments

Sammi said...

I'm actually loving the polka dot on polka dot look :) And I read that same thread on GOMI and thought it was very interesting. People made a lot of valid points, I think -- especially with bloggers becoming totally not relatable or losing their passion. I found a post on there of someone harping on me and was really hurt by it, so I completely understand what you mean about being too sensitive to read your own thread -- I couldn't take it. The temptation is there though, to look, but I'll have to resist searching further.

xox Sammi
www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree that I would stop following a girl's blog if it became obvious that she was a bit too thirsty for the online attention and didn't really care for her content anymore. But so far I've found quite a few fabulous, inspirational bloggers out there who are very passionate about their online presence and are completely true to themselves!

Xo, Hannah

sweetsweetnoir.net

Elizzabeth Hope said...

Love the dots!!! and the post!


xo, Lizz
www.ElizzabethHope.com

Lauren said...

Lawl I talk about the weather ALL the time. What can I say? I like weather! ;)

Two Happy Hearts said...

I'm totally into this double-dot thing you've got going on. So great!

And this is such an interesting post! Blogging is weird, isn't it?! I find that one of the most difficult parts of blogging for me is what to write about. It's a funny balance of being "real" but not being too personal...or negative! But I've made it a personal goal of mine to spend more time developing a dialog that is more in depth than the weather or exciting things coming up...Thanks for the inspiration to keep pushing myself on my blog content!

Jenna Leigh said...

love the whole outfit!!!

http://abeautifulheart07.blogspot.com/2013/08/truly-sweet.html

Lenea said...

I absolutely love this outfit! It's just so cute! I can't wait for fall here. Oklahoma doesn't cool down enough until October.

Great post, too! I have to admit, I don't post to my own blog very often and I really just blog to blog. I also don't really have any followers so it honestly doesn't bother as much if I'm just writing for myself. It's nice just getting things out of my head.

Unknown said...

Woah, polka dot explosion! You are rocking that, girl!

Katie is actually the one who turned me on to GOMI. We stayed up wayyyyyy to late in Pittsburgh reading it. I think they do have some good thoughts; I saw the article you were talking about - very very true! Thanks for the inspiration, as always, hon!

xoxo,
laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Perfect!

Mary said...

Amen to this! I super agree. Blogging is a hobby, it'll never be more than just a fun passion for me & I'm 110% happy about that. Well said, gfriend!

Mary said...

Amen to this! I super agree. Blogging is a hobby, it'll never be more than just a fun passion for me & I'm 110% happy about that. Well said, gfriend!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean...I started my blog about 3 years ago, and that's when I started really following other people...but there are only a couple of those that I actually keep up to date with now! I can't explain why, but some just make me want to read more than others! I think it is partly, as you say, a lack of interesting things to blog about; and partly the feeling of 'having' to write something. That's why I don't post regularly...if I don't have something I feel worthwhile to post, I don't.

P.S. LOVE the double polka dots :D

Blogger Template by pipdig